Q& A good: THE COLLEGE PREP PROCESS Yesterday morning, I was your guest in #CollegeCash chat on Flickr discussing college preparation the online assets that are available for the patients parents and scholars. Since not everyone can be present at these félin or is certainly active on Twitter, I thought it might be nice to share the inquiries and info here on my favorite blog.
Question: As soon as do mothers and fathers start the college prep approach?
- Ideally you must start speaking with your student about the associated with an education whenever they start school and ampere it up inside middle school.
- 9th quality students must pay close attention to tutorial selection finding AP honors classes, figures and scientific research.
- 9th graders should also check for that YOU extracurricular activity to concentrate on inside high school.
Thought: What do shown as the parent’s role from the college ready process?
- Mom and dad should allow student ‘drive the car’ but complement as a passenger/guide
- Parents can help with financial institution and gentle reminders regarding deadlines
- Parents should be there for advice, support and things but no longer take control of the method
Question: What online instruments do you advise for the debate colleges side-by-side?
- I love Zinch because you can develop a profile, compare and contrast colleges and obtain matched w/colleges and scholarships or grants http://www.zinch.com
- You should use the College Board’s tool in order to colleges as well http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/index.jsp
- Extra sites happen to be: http://www.collegeview.com/index.jsp & http://www.collegexpress.com/ & http://www.cappex.com & http://www.collegeconfidential.com
Issue: What internet tools would you recommend regarding test ready?
- For vocabulary prep, @sheldonwordnerd has the TOP online resource available http://www.word-nerd.com
- Practice studies are very important so take advantage of them on-line here http://sat.collegeboard.org/practice & http://www.number2.com/ & http://www.actstudent.org/testprep/index.html
- Read their very own blogs & follow on Twitter: @elizabethonline @akilbello@sheldonwordnerd @preppedpolished @PWNtheSAT@staceyhowelott
Question: What on-line tools equipment recommend to get financial aid?
- The exact definitive web page for financing info will be http://www.finaid.org/
- Naturally ALL families should total the FAFSA http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ to qualify for financial aid
- Saving for School provides mom and dad with all the information about financial aid http://www.savingforcollege.com/ & enables you to compare personal savings plans
Query: What online language resources do you suggest for institution visit processing?
- Visit university or college websites to check out video excursions and information relevant to each individual institution
- @collegevisit includes all the tools you need to prepare, organize and prepare for university or college visits http://www.smartcollegevisit.com
- Before the stop by you can check released @YOUniversity ‘s virtual college or university tours perhaps even hear from trainees http://www.youniversitytv.com/
Query: What web based tools will you recommend to help you with the composition?
- @vcollegeadvisor has many great go tips by video http://www.youtube.com/user/PreCollegeCoach#p/a/u/0/Ago6tIEnL0g
- @collegebasics provides some good tips about different coursework topics http://www.collegebasics.com/applying-to-college/admissions-essays/
- @butwait gives a pocket dissertation editor with 13 guidelines https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=ah89knd3kmzc_469cq94ghdq
- When you are looking for many actual college essay good examples, look the following http://www.teenink.com/college_guide/college_essays/
Question: Where equipment find information in relation to individual faculty statistics?
- I’m keen on College Navigator because the process under way view stats and review http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
- Great resource for studies and more is definitely CollegeData http://www.collegedata.com/
- The College Board also offers a power tool to research higher education information http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/index.jsp
Question: Just what information fish tank share with regards to the Net Price tag Calculator?
- Websites price calculators were required to help dads and moms and scholars estimate the big cost of university or college BEFORE using
- Not all calculators are created equal; use them as a tool however , don’t expect to have 100% exactness on cost estimates
- Institutions are required to have them on their websites but they are normally hard to find; you might have to do various digging
Concern: How can dads and moms be assured they may be getting EXPERIENCED advice pertaining to college as compared with being ripped off?
- I has written a blog recently with this topic https://www.parentingforcollege.com/2011/11/07/parents-beware-its-a-jungle-out-there/
- Some key points: investigate many claims working with Google; question them working with social media; could they be associated w/other experts?
- Don’t believe claims until backed up together with facts given that it’s as well good being true, it all usually can be
EARLY COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY PREPARATION GIVE GOOD RESULT
I look over two articles and a state today this underscored the importance of starting the school preparation method early:
Math around preschool
Is certainly 6th standard the key to be able to ending the particular dropout crisis?
The Overlooked Middle (A College Readiness Report)
While I have a tendency advocate providing pressure students within grade university about college or using undue strain related to college preparation, there are many things that dads and moms can do in order to guarantee their students are prepared in the event the college decision-making time characters around. Below are a few suggestions:
- Persuade your student to read, read through and study a strong speech that you can solely get from checking will advantages them all through high school along with into university; not to mention it may help with SAT/ACT testing together with essay prep.
- Make sure that your school’s maths and scientific disciplines programs will be up-to-par which your college student participates with a strong amount in both matters these training systems are crucial for a student’s critical thinking potential and their good results with competing college resume.
- Teach your learner to set pursuits and observe steps to reach them for those who start beginning, you are organizing your pupil to be successful within high school, institution 1984 argumentative essay examples and in everyday life.
- Previously entering graduating high school, have a hit on your teen in regards to the importance of degrees and tutorial success during the next several years their whole grades will be more than just words on a piece of paper; they will determine how colleges check out them as well as amount of caliber aid these receive. Powerful academic performance = entrée and free college funding.
- Allow your college find their passion some nonacademic activity/hobby/interest to do, grow and even excel through school plus beyond. This can be fun, community and ego-building, and universities want to see that, too. (Thanks to Wendy at POCSMomfor this further tip! )
All these may seem like simple or perhaps obvious guidelines, but these couple suggestions, if followed, may put your own student on the path to college growth and even institution success. Impressive proactive parenting can perform a huge job in the college or university admissions method.Posted on