Corinne and Wouter really took the cake at Slideluck Amsterdam IV! Their dish, a total hit at the potluck, was a reworking of a savory cake recipe by Rachel Khoo of The Little Paris Kitchen on BBC Two. Instead of the goat cheese and prunes in Rachel’s original recipe, Corinne and Wouter went for gorgonzola and dates – and boy are we glad they did. What a great dish – thanks for sharing, you two!
9oz plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
5½ oz gorgonzola, crumbled
2¾ oz pistachios, roughly chopped
3½ oz dates, roughly chopped
4 free-range eggs
5 fl oz olive oil
3½ fl oz milk
1¾ oz plain yogurt
1 tsp salt
pinch freshly-ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a loaf pan measuring 8½ x 4¼ in across the top and 2½ in deep with baking paper.
2. In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, gorgonzola, pistachios and dates.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs until fluffy and pale in color. Then gradually whisk in the oil, milk and yogurt. Season with the salt and freshly-ground black pepper.
4. Fold the flour mixture into the whisked eggs. Try not to overbeat as this will make the end result tough (it’s better to undermix).
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a metal skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
7. Leave to cool in the pan.